– Advertisement –
The city’s public health workers will begin administering the Covid-19 bivalent boosters in the city this week.
The first dose of Covid-19 bivalent boosters, considered very effective against the Omicron variant, is now available in the city, confirmed Cagayan de Oro health officer Rachel Dilla.
Said Dr. Dilla said that the first 3,600 doses of bivalent boosters were brought to the city on Monday, June 26.
The official launch of the bivalent booster vaccination will begin this Thursday morning at the health center in Macanhan, Carmen, the most populated urban barangay in the city.
“This will be given to A1 and A2 – our frontliners and senior citizens – who received their second booster doses at least four months ago,” said Dilla.
The initial 3,600 doses of bivalent boosters are part of the 390,000 doses that the Lithuanian government donated to the national government last week.
Bivalent boosters were first released in the United States last year. These boosters have been modified to target the original strain of the coronavirus and the highly infectious Omicron variant, which emerged in November 2021.
Earlier, Health Secretary Ted Herbosa said more bivalent booster doses are expected to arrive soon.
“We still don’t know when the next delivery of bivalent boosters will be [to Cagayan de Oro] can do,” said Dilla.
He said the administration of bivalent booster shots will continue at the City Health Office on Archbishop Hayes Street after Thursday.
“It’s only available from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. on weekdays,” Dilla said.
Councilor James Judith, ex-officio member of the committee on health in the city council, embraced the giving of the new booster shots, saying that it shows that Cagayan de Oro is one of the areas that is given focus on health. agenda of the national government.
“The appropriation means that the city has the power of the national office of the Department of Health,” said Judith.
Based on the records of the City Health Office, the primary vaccine coverage for senior citizens is 81.83%, while the first booster coverage for residents aged 12 years and above is 45.85% as of May 31.
As of June 26, the city has recorded no new cases of Covid-19 but has 17 active cases.
Of those infected, nine have been admitted to hospitals, while eight are in temporary treatment and monitoring facilities at city hall.
Since March 2020, the city has experienced 978 deaths from Covid-19, with the cumulative number of cases reaching 28,630.
Mindanao Gold Star Daily holds the copyrights of all articles and photos forever. Any unauthorized copying in any platform, electronic and hardcopy, is liable for copyright infringement under the Intellectual Property Rights Law of the Philippines.